Monday, June 15, 2009

Summertime, And The Living Is ...... Easy?

(SING WITH ME HERE..."SCHOOOOOL'S OUT. FOR. SUMMER!!")

Remember when that song was the best sound ever? You'd sing it at the top of your lungs as you boarded the mid-June yellow bus for the last ride home until you were a big NEXT-grader. God, I loved that. (Especially putting the school bus behind me....I lived in the freakin boonies where even the straight-aways were curvy, making me chunky-burp through motion-sickness way too many times to count.) The FREEDOM that I felt at that moment was uncontainable.

Now, however, that song is the opening ceremony's anthem to THE END OF MY FREEDOM -

Today was Day One of Summer Break, also known as I'm Gonna Break, I Need A Break, etc. in Mommy World.

I enjoy the ease of summer, not having to rush Sons anywhere, but it can be a difficult time in this household since both Husband and I do our work from here. Case in point: Husband's office is next to the family room. The TV is in the family room. Sons want to watch TV. Having SpongeBob's insane gigglefest as background music is not conducive to brokering large deals. Needless to say, Husband commandeered my nice, quiet, secluded office, located on the other side of the house, while I birthed a backache on our bed with my hunching-over-my-laptop skillage. And it took me nine hours to write two queries that still sound like crap. Is this gonna work? Not so much.

On the bright side, Sons #1 and #2 got along great all day. I didn't have to referee one argument, didn't have to bandage any scrapes, didn't have to bribe/coerce/threaten either/both of them. What an awesome start! They even made their own snack-tray, a staple in our house. Yes, I would have added grapes, carrots and hummus to it, but if granola bars and squirty cheese keep them happily shushed, I'm all in.

Note to self: add g-bars and cheddar-in-a-can to grocery list.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes. I remember the first two weeks of Summer Vacation 2008 and they were hellish. I just got finished with signing my kids up for a slew of low-cost activities. *sigh*

    And don't you hate it when the hubbie takes over your space? I feel your pain, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete