Friday, June 5, 2009

The Turds And The Fleas


You all know that you'll have to have "The Talk" with your children at some point. Better sooner than later, because if you leave it up to their friends to educate them, you never know what kind of information they'll receive and believe. So take a deep breath, maybe slam a glass of wine or two, then dive in head-first. Your children MUST know the truth about...becoming a pet owner.

Yes kiddies, there's poo, there's pee, there's puddles of yellow juice full of undigested grass. There's howling, there's nipping, there's hair all over your favorite coat. Welcome to ownerdom.

When I finally talked Husband into adding a four-legged something-or-other to our family, Son #1 and Son #2 were all in. There were promises-promises-pinky-swears till the cows came home. "We'll feed it, we'll water it, we'll train it, we'll walk it. We'll even pick up the doodie." I didn't believe any of it, and rightly so.

Flash forward five years and you'll find the dog's water bowl is bone-ass dry, his food bowl is as bare as a centerfold, and if he could cross his legs to hold in his pee, he would, since they never let him out to go potty. Seriously, that dog has a bladder on him that could contain a public pool. Which is surprising since he apparently never gets any water accept from me. This is all my fault.

Let me HIGHLY recommend that your children attend the "pick out the pet" event. It will foster in them a better sense of responsibility towards this hairy addition to your family. Learn from my mistake, or you too will always be a water-filling, kibble-supplying, ball-chucking, poo snagger-upperer.
You see, our first pup had died just a few weeks after we brought him home. Seems that silly shelter forgot to mention that this puppy had parvo, a fatal disease, when they handed him off and accepted our check. After much heartbreak any many tears, I went back alone to the shelter, searching for a "replacement" which I could never find. Then along came Max. He is more than we could've hoped for. But the real bond is between him and I, his lone rescuer. Sure, the other three malefolk in this house love him, but I took him to obedience training (he was a nightmare), I took him in to get neutered (sorry 'bout that, doggie), and I take him in for his shots (he loves the biscuit after, which is the canine equivalent to a dum-dum sucker). Max is my dog. If only I would have shared the fun (not-fun).

A pet can be a huge part of growing up. It can teach a child so many lessons, but most of all, it can teach them love. So if you're going to give that wonderful gift to your offspring, please allow them the experience of really caring for the animal from the very start. Turds, fleas and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment